Representación Legal Eficiente y Efectiva

Frequently asked questions about filing a claim against your employer

Starting a claim against your employer will likely put you in new territory. It’s common for this to feel a bit overwhelming, which is why it’s important to enlist the help of an experienced attorney like those at Cross Law Firm, SC. ​​Our attorneys have decades of experience guiding people like you through this process.

If you’d like to learn more about how we fight hard for your workplace rights at all times, contact us online to set up a consultation, or call Milwaukee or Chicago. To get you started, though, here are some helpful answers to common questions:

How do you answer questions from other employees?

If other employees find out that you have an open case, they will have a lot of questions. It’s usually best to tell them you don’t want to talk about the case until it’s over. You also don’t want to talk  about it on social media .

What should you never say?

Never tell other employees what evidence you have to prove your termination was illegal or what tactics you plan to use in court. You do not want any of this information returned to your employer.

What are the main reasons for filing an employment claim?

Modern employees have many more rights than those of previous generations, but the unfortunate reality is that violations continue to happen. Claims are often opened due to job discrimination,  wrongful termination, safety violations, illegal acts, retaliation, policy violations, breaches of contract, and reporting due to the aforementioned issues.

What is the Statute of Limitations on Discrimination?

It is prudent to act as quickly as possible. Although there are exceptions, you generally have 180 days to file a complaint with the EEOC. For those facing ongoing discrimination — perhaps you’ve been working in a hostile work environment for years — these 180 days simply start the last time a qualifying incident occurred. However, if you are filing on the basis of unequal pay, you can start a lawsuit within the next two years. If the discrimination was intentional, you have three years.

Contact our lawyers

To set up a consultation, dial in Milwaukee, dial in Chicago, or  contact us online .