Efficient and Effective Legal Representation

FAQs About Filing A Claim Against Your Employer

Starting a claim against your employer likely puts you in brand new territory. It is common for this to feel a bit overwhelming, which is why it is important to have assistance from an experienced attorney such as those at Cross Law Firm, S.C. Our attorneys have decades of experience guiding people like you through this process.

If you would like to learn more about how we fight hard for your employment rights at every turn, please contact us online to set up a consultation, or call 414-616-3229 in Milwaukee or in Chicago. To get you started, though, here are some helpful answers to common questions:

How Do You Answer Questions From Other Employees?

If other employees find out that you have an open case, they will have plenty of questions. Typically, it is best to tell them that you do not want to talk about the case until it is over. You also do not want to talk about it on social media.

What Should You NEVER Say?

Never tell other employees what evidence you have to prove your termination was illegal or what tactics you plan to use in court. You do not want any of this information to get back to your employer.

What Are Top Reasons To File An Employment Claim?

Modern employees hold far more rights than those of previous generations, but the unfortunate reality is that violations continue to happen. Claims are often opened due to on-the-job discrimination, wrongful termination, safety violations, illegal acts, retaliation, policy violations, breaches of contract and whistleblowing due to the aforementioned issues.

What Is The Statute Of Limitations For Discrimination?

It is wise to act as quickly as possible. Though exceptions exist, you typically have 180 days to file a complaint with the EEOC. For those who face ongoing discrimination — perhaps you have been working in a hostile work environment for years — these 180 days simply start the last time a qualifying incident occurred. If you are filing based on unequal pay, however, you can start a lawsuit within the next two years. If the discrimination was willful, you have three years.

Contact Our Lawyers

To set up a consultation, dial 414-616-3229 in Milwaukee, dial in Chicago or contact us online.