- Employment Contracts
- Compensation Claims
- Severance Agreements
- Non-compete Agreements
- Job Counseling
- Employment Discrimination
- Wrongful Discharge
- Employment Torts
- False Claims Acts Claims
- Business Transactions
- Business Disputes
Mary Flanner advises clients in matters involving employee and employer relations. She assists clients in evaluating, negotiating and litigating, if needed, matters involving severance agreements, non-competes and other employment related torts, restrictive covenants and employment contracts. She helps clients obtain compensation due for unpaid or underpaid wages, overtime, commissions, bonuses, benefits, deferred compensation and stock. She also represents individuals in claims under ERISA plans and employment contracts and represents clients in matters involving wrongful discharge, including retaliatory terminations, licensure proceedings and regulatory matters. She advises employees about their rights and their employer's obligations including in matters involving discrimination or the need for accommodations of a disability or leave under the FMLA.
Her clients include a broad range of people, from workers earning minimum wage to highly paid professionals.
She also represents individuals in cases brought under the False Claims Act for fraudulent billings presented to the government and other fraud claims and whistleblower claims.
She resolves disputes with various settlement mechanisms including direct negotiation, arbitration and mediation to achieve desired goals. If settlement cannot be achieved, she presents the case through the appropriate administrative process such as the Wisconsin Equal Rights Division (ERD) or the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) or the courts through trial if needed.
She also advises business start-ups and represents small businesses on transactional matters, including collection, contract disputes and commercial litigation.
Mary has represented clients for the Cross Law Firm since 2013. She is a native Wisconsinite. In her free time, she participates in a book club and especially enjoys reading historical fiction, mysteries and well written books. She enjoys hiking, traveling and spending time with her family.
- University of Wisconsin Law School, Madison, Wisconsin
- J.D. – 1987
- Honors: cum laude
- Law Review: Wisconsin Law Review, Articles Editor
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin
- Honors: With Distinction
- Major: Anthropology
Classes & Seminars
- Co-Presenter, Issue Spotting and Avoiding Pitfalls on Wage & Hours Laws, Wisconsin State Bar, 2014
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Hannan & Associates, LLC
- Flanner, Stack, Fahl, & Bagley, LLP
- Denny & Yanisch Law Offices, LLC
- Baxter & O’Meara, S.C.
- Whyte Hirschboeck Dudek S.C., (Started with Frisch Dudek, Ltd., which merged with WHD)
- Reinhart, Boerner, Van Deuren, & Rieselbach, S.C.
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Health Law Section
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Labor & Employment Law Section
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Litigation Section
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Elder Law Section
- Waukesha Bar Association, Litigation, Probate & Estate Planning sections
- Wisconsin Employment Lawyers Association
- NELA- National Employment Lawyers Association