Attorney Katherine M. Holiday represents clients in matters involving fraud and employment law. Attorney Holiday regularly represents employees who are still employed but having problems with their employer; she enjoys being able to advocate for client rights and to assist in protecting their jobs while still employed. Attorney Holiday educates clients on medical leave, accommodations, and other disability rights. She coaches employees on how to make complaints that are protected by law and to advocate for their rights in the workplace.
Attorney Holiday negotiates severance agreements for recently terminated employees. When a matter cannot be resolved out of court, Attorney Katherine Holiday zealously represents clients in litigation. She litigates and resolves employment claims, wage and hour claims, and fraud and whistleblowing. In addition to private sector employees, executives and professionals, Attorney Holiday represents federal and other public workers and executives with their unique procedures. She regularly represents town, city, and county employees in the local grievance procedure for the appeal of their termination or other discipline.
Attorney Holiday’s wage and hour practice includes obtaining unpaid minimum wage, unpaid overtime premium pay, and unpaid agreed upon pay rates. She represents individuals, groups of employees, and nationwide classes of employees pursuing wage claims.
Additionally, Attorney Holiday represents employees who have been discriminated against or harassed on the basis of any protected class, such as age, gender, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, military status.
Attorney Holiday fights for rights of employees who made complaints protected by law and then were subsequently retaliated against for making those complaints. Her retaliation and fraud practice covers claims for all manner of protected conduct and whistleblower fraud claims including conduct protected under the False Claims Act, Title VII, Fair Labor Standards Act, Family Medical Leave Act, Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, Sarbanes-Oxley, SEC Whistleblower program, IRS whistleblower program, common law wrongful discharge, National Labor Relations Board, OSHA, federal employee whistleblower protections, Health Care Whistleblower Protection, Defense, and other whistleblower protection and retaliation laws and regulations. Her False Claims Act work includes Medicare and Medicaid fraud, defense contracts, construction, education, pharmaceutical fraud, and off-label drug promotion.
She routinely advises small businesses and co-operatives on employment matters.
Attorney Holiday is licensed to practice in both Illinois and Wisconsin. She practices in state and federal court as well as in numerous state and federal administrative agencies.
Areas of Practice
- Wage and Hour
- False Claims Act
- Whistleblower Law
- First Amendment Freedom of Speech
- Public Employees
- Small Business
- Class Actions
- Employment Retaliation
- Employment Discrimination and Harassment
- Pre-termination Intervention & Employment Counseling
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- DePaul University College of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- Honors: Dean's List
- Honors: CALI Award for Excellent Performance: Legal Analysis, Research & Communication I
- Law Review: DePaul Law Review, Associate Editor
- Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- B.A. cum laude
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: Social Welfare and Justice
- Minor: History
- John Felice Rome Center, Rome, Italy
- Cutting Down on Non-Primary Residential Foreclosures: Section 1322 of the Bankruptcy Code Could Help, NACTT, November, 2010
- Issue Spotting and Avoiding Pitfalls on Wage & Hours Laws, Wisconsin State Bar, 2014
Honors and Awards
- CALI Award for Excellent Performance
- American Bar Association Client Counseling Competition Regional Participant
- American Legion Citizenship Award
- Ray Rumple Award from Waukesha Kiwanis Foundation
- Ignatius Scholarship
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Wisconsin Bar Association, Labor & Employment Law Section
- Illinois Bar Association
- Wisconsin Employment Lawyers Association
- Milwaukee Bar Association, Labor & Employment Law Section, Co-Chair
Past Employment Positions
- Ordower & Ordower, P.C., Chicago, Illinois, Law Clerk
- The Office of the United States Trustee, Chicago, Illinois, 711 , Legal Extern
- Goldman & Ehrlich, Chicago, Illinois, Law Clerk
- DePaul University College of Law Professor Philip Ashley, Chicago, Illinois, Research Assistant
- DePaul University College of Law Legal Analysis, Research & Communication I & II, Chicago, Illinois, Teaching Assistant
- Hon. Susan Pierson Sonderby, American Bar Association Judicial Intern Opportunity Program, Chicago, Illinois, Intern
- Michael Goldstein & Associates, Chicago, Illinois, Law Clerk
Pro Bono Activities
- Corps Member, AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corps, 2002
- Educational Seminar regarding Employment Rights, Meta House, 2014